[opentheory-users] semantics

Ramana Kumar ramana.kumar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:14:44 UTC 2011

I am still confused sometimes by the package summaries on the Gilith
repo website.
For example, what is the difference between axioms and assumptions?
(I've asked this before, and I think the answer has to do with whether
they are theorems about constants defined by the article or not...)

I would like to see a slogan or two to keep in mind about OpenTheory,
and a web page (or pdf if necessary) describing semantics (maybe in
some logical framework or something).
I think a slogan could be "A theory package is a collection of
theorems, represented by proofs." - Is that right?
But it sweeps two important issues under the rug: definitions and assumptions.
Is there an accurate slogan that would deal with these two things and
say exactly what a theory package is?
Definitions complicate things because I think you need to talk about
language extensions and conservative extensions of theories, but all
this is presumably standard stuff - I just want to see exactly how
OpenTheory embodies it.

The semantics I'm looking for may well already exist in a paper
somewhere - in that case I'd like to see a link on the project
homepage.