[opentheory-users] extending the standard library

Ramana Kumar ramana at member.fsf.org
Thu May 12 02:27:06 UTC 2016

Hi Joe,

Sorry, but I feel like we are talking past each other at the moment. I
asked a
few questions in my last email which I don't think you addressed. Let me
address the concerns in your email first, then I will try to ask my
questions
again.

I agree with you about the value of underspecified constants in the standard
library. The source of value is that they put fewer constraints on readers,
thereby making theories based on the standard library more widely readable.

On creating theories in the HOL4 namespace, and depending on the hol-base
package: I see these as interim measures, with my desired goal being that
the
theorems and additional constants eventually all make it into the standard
namespace and depend on a nicely organised, unified, tree of packages. I
think
we probably agree on that goal, but I'm not sure. What do you say?

More generally, my goal is to put together OpenTheory packages that are so
compelling in their organisation and coverage, having taken theorems from
all
the existing HOL provers, that everyone wants to use them. I want to move
towards unification and away from fragmentation. I would be sad if
OpenTheory
simply becomes a mirror of the existing fragmentation and incompatibility
between the various theorem prover libraries today. Do you agree with this
more
general goal?

I would like to discuss how to achieve the HOL4-specific goal now, because I
think we have enough information to make progress on such a discussion
(enough
HOL4 packages are already created). (This is in response to "When the HOL4
theory packages are in place...".)

Now back to the questions from my previous email:

 - Do you agree with the three pieces of my solution to issue (2)? How do
you
   think responsibility for those tasks should be divided between readers
and
   creators?

 - I guess your response "I'm loath to totalize any of the constants..." was
   mainly to my suggested solution 0 to issue (3). That is a reasonable
   objection to solution 0.
   But:
   What do you think of solution 1, namely, providing multiple versions of
   constants that can be overspecified (in addition to the underspecified
   version), together with theorems relating them?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Cheers,
Ramana