[opentheory-users] redundant import check

Joe Leslie-Hurd joe at gilith.com
Thu Mar 31 07:18:47 UTC 2016

Hi Ramana,

There are a couple of different redundant warnings the tool can
generate: I assume your question is about the "redundant import X in
theory block Y" warning message, not the "redundant requires: X"
warning.

I've just looked at the code, and for an import X to be reported as
redundant in theory block Y both of the following must hold:

1. The theorems of X and the assumptions of Y are disjoint.
2. The defined symbols in the theorems of X and the input symbols in
theorems of Y are disjoint.

If I interpret your question correctly, you are concerned about
removing a redundant import X containing a defined symbol S that is
used in Y but not exported in a theorem. After scratching my head for
some time I cannot see how removing X from the imports of Y could
result in the creation of different symbols with the same name, but
perhaps I am missing something.

Do you have a problem scenario in mind?