[opentheory-users] Theorem meta-data

Joe Leslie-Hurd joe at gilith.com
Sat Nov 8 09:12:51 UTC 2014

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your feedback on the proposal. I have given a lot of
thought to your email, and in reply let me explain a little about my
vision for the OpenTheory project.

Firstly, I see the goal of the project as evolving a set of standards
for proofs and theories to capture the needs of people wanting to
exchange theories between theorem prover implementations. So I'm not
too worried about maintaining backward compatibility if there's a
measurable improvement, just like the situation with removing the
unnecessary free variables from the theorems produced by defineTypeOp.

Rob's suggestion of a version command makes incompatible changes in
articles easy to deal with, and I will commit to ensuring that the
opentheory tool will support all released versions of OpenTheory
standards. My hope is that people developing tools will always choose
the latest version of the standards, and not have to worry about
processing earlier versions (perhaps using the opentheory tool to
upgrade earlier versions if necessary).

So in the context of an evolving set of standards I see the pragma
article command as a laboratory for testing out new ideas in different
article readers, with the idea that once new features are tested they
can be standardized as new commands that every reader must implement
in the same way. For example, if most readers support a debug pragma
then I see no problem with creating a debug command in future versions
of the article standard that all readers must respect. In this role of
a test laboratory that different readers process in different ways, it
seems that the opentheory tool has no choice but to discard pragma
commands when producing articles.

In the light of the above, and the requests I have heard to include
theorem metadata in articles, I still see it as a good idea to propose
an extra argument to the thm article command that all readers must
process in the same way. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts
(and the thoughts of others on the list) on whether the specific
proposal captures specific theorem metadata needs, or indeed whether
there is enough added value to justify making a change at all.