[opentheory-users] New principle of constant definition

Joe Leslie-Hurd joe at gilith.com
Thu Nov 6 06:51:37 UTC 2014

Hi Rob,

> It would be sound to permit that, but I have a prejudice against
> free variables in defining properties, so I was deliberately requiring
> the user to take the universal closure w.r.t. the variable n in an
> example like the above, so that the resulting defining property
> would be a closed formula.

The aesthetic argument convinces me: I just wanted to check the
condition wasn't also necessary for soundness in some subtle way.

>> Also, why "contained in" and not "exactly"? If there are extra
>> variables v_i that are not free in p, then it is a simple matter to
>> remove them from the hypotheses before calling gen_new_specification.
>
> Yes, but then the rule won't introduce the corresponding constants.
> I don't think this is very important, but I didn't want to require
> the user to impose a constraint on all the new constants.

>From the perspective of a purely functional logical kernel introducing
a new constant with no defining property is a no-op, but in a
traditional logical kernel with a symbol table I can see there might
be a reason to introduce a new constant with a null definition.

>> Finally, a practical point that I ran into during implementation: in
>> the case where the set v_i is empty (i.e., there is nothing to
>> define), should the input theorem simply be returned or do you
>> consider that an error condition?
>
> The current ProofPower implementation allows the set to be empty
> and just stores the input theorem as a definition (of nothing) in that
> case. I think that is it how it is specified in the CakeML work too.
> Maybe Ramana could confirm that.

OK, I'll mirror this behavior in the opentheory tool. In this trivial
case the rule should succeed iff the input theorem has no free
variables.