[opentheory-users] Scalable LCF-style proof translation

Ramana Kumar Ramana.Kumar at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 24 12:51:48 UTC 2013

So, the first observation is a difference in the article formats:

Currently, OpenTheory articles are programs for a virtual stack machine.
Stack objects may live inside the dictionary and be referenced (by an
explicit ref command) by integer keys, or they can be used directly without
going into the dictionary.

By contrast, K&K articles are programs for a virtual machines without a
stack.
The arguments to commands are given inline with the commands, and are
always integer keys (i.e., every object is in the dictionary) or literal
names.

This simplifies and shortens the article format and processing. There are
fewer kinds of object (just terms, types, theorems, and names; whereas
OpenTheory also requires numbers and lists) and no stack manipulation
commands.

(Also, I suspect K&K constants are identical if they have the same name;
they aren't generative (identity depends on construction provenance) as in
OT. This is more intuitive to my taste.)

Is there a good reason for the stack-based approach? I couldn't think of
any, but maybe I'm missing something.
One thing the stack gives you is the ability to share sub-objects like
lists of terms; but I don't think this is worthwhile. (With K&K you of
course can still share the main objects (terms,types,thms).)