[opentheory-users] package versions

Ramana Kumar ramana.kumar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 09:14:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Joe Hurd <joe at gilith.com> wrote:
> I have just released a new version of the opentheory tool that
> supports leaving version numbers off for the "export", "info" and
> "upload" commands, where the semantics is that the package being
> referred to is the latest version that is installed in your local
> theory directory.

Thanks!

> However, I was not sure what the right semantics were for the
> "install" command. If I type
>
> opentheory install theory
>
> should that refer to the latest version installed on the repos listed
> in your config file, say theory-N? What if you already have theory-M
> installed, for both the cases M < N and M > N? (The equality case is
> easy, since you can't install two theories with the same name and
> version number.)
>
> Do you have an opinion?

Yes, but my opinion is not based on the actual use of theory packages;
the right choices may only become clear later.
In my opinion, the "install" command, without an explicit version
given, means "install latest, or upgrade to latest".
So "theory" above should refer to the latest version N in the known
repos. If M is installed with M < N it should upgrade (i.e. install
theory-N, which obsoletes theory-M? Possibly uninstall theory-M too.).
If M is installed with M > N it should print a message saying so and do nothing.