[opentheory-users] extending the standard library

Ramana Kumar ramana at member.fsf.org
Wed Apr 13 03:56:09 UTC 2016

The HOL4 base library has its own version of constants like Data.List.take
and Number.Natural.- because it needs to prove theorems like:

⊦ length (list.TAKE n xs) = if n ≤ length xs then n else length xs

⊦ (∀m. arithmetic.- 0 m = 0) ∧
  ∀m n.
    arithmetic.- (suc m) n = if m < n then 0 else suc (arithmetic.- m n)
I don't think these theorems are provable using the OpenTheory standard
library versions of those constants.

However, I don't know whether Data.List.unzip suffers from this problem. If
not, then the HOL4 base package should be updated to use the standard
library constant. It would be helpful if you could make a list of any other
similar updates that should be made.

I don't think the current OpenTheory standard library base contains
theories that every HOL theorem prover supports. There are constants like
Data.List.nub, for example, which are not supported by HOL4. I'm not
entirely sure whether being the intersection of what every HOL theorem
prover supports is a good goal, but if that is the rule it should at least
be followed :)

However, my question was not solely about the base package, but about the
naming scheme for the standard library. If there are useful constants from
other theorem provers (like, say, HOL4's list.GENLIST or list.MAP2), I
think their name and characterising theorems should be fit into the
OpenTheory namespace (Data.List, for example) in a standardised way, even
if they don't make it into the base package itself. What do you think of
that?

I envision OpenTheory being used for the twin goals of portability (where
being an intersection is good) and designing a rich, cleanly organised,
useful standard library of HOL theorems (where being a union is good).
These activities can happen simultaneously in different OpenTheory standard
packages.