[opentheory-users] Error loading articles

Joe Leslie-Hurd joe at gilith.com
Mon Oct 5 20:56:23 UTC 2015

Hi Robert,

There are a couple of different obstacles here.

Firstly, it is important that the dependent theories have been
imported before the theory. To show all the dependent theories, use
the following command:

$ opentheory list --dependency-order 'Requires+ natural-prime'
base-1.200
natural-divides-1.62
stream-1.46

Now this sequence will succeed:

extend_the_interpretation
  "opentheory/theories/natural-divides/natural-divides.int";;
import_article "natural-divides.art";;

extend_the_interpretation
  "opentheory/theories/stream/stream.int";;
import_article "stream.art";;

extend_the_interpretation
  "opentheory/theories/natural-prime/natural-prime.int";;
import_article "natural-prime.art";;

The second obstacle is that the theory word10 includes the theory
word, which in turn includes the theory modular. So to successfully
import word10 you need to extend the interpretation with the
interpretations for these theories, too:

$ opentheory list --dependency-order 'Requires+ word10'
base-1.200
stream-1.46
probability-1.49
natural-bits-1.66
natural-divides-1.62

extend_the_interpretation
  "opentheory/theories/stream/stream.int";;
import_article "stream.art";;

extend_the_interpretation
  "opentheory/theories/probability/probability.int";;
import_article "probability.art";;

extend_the_interpretation
  "opentheory/theories/natural-bits/natural-bits.int";;
import_article "natural-bits.art";;

extend_the_interpretation
  "opentheory/theories/natural-divides/natural-divides.int";;
import_article "natural-divides.art";;

extend_the_interpretation
  "opentheory/theories/modular/modular.int";;
extend_the_interpretation
  "opentheory/theories/word/word.int";;
extend_the_interpretation
  "opentheory/theories/word10/word10.int";;
import_article "word10.art";;

I regard this second problem as a defect in the theories, because it's
unreasonable to expect people to discover this information. I'll work
on fixing it so these multiple extend_the_interpretation commands are
unnecessary.