[opentheory-users] new_specification

Rob Arthan rda at lemma-one.com
Mon Mar 17 12:37:04 UTC 2014

Joe,

Thanks for the quick response.

On 17 Mar 2014, at 06:34, Joe Leslie-Hurd <joe at gilith.com> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> I thought about your comments, and I take your point that even though OpenTheory uses theory boundaries to enforce abstraction there are some compelling reasons to support a definition principle such as your new proposed mechanism that has better abstraction properties.
>
> One of the design goals of OpenTheory is to have very precisely defined standards, to maximize compatibility between tools that implement them, and even though I can see the conceptual unity of your proposed "spec" command it doesn't give precise enough instructions as to what the reader should do for my taste.

I thought it was precise. The reader must introduce the new types and constants and make the sequence become axioms. The only implementation-defined aspect is that it can use the justification to do this theory extension conservatively if it knows how. However, ...

> Instead I have sketched out the spec for a draft "defineConstList" command
>
> http://www.gilith.com/research/opentheory/article.html#defineConstListCommand

… I can’t complain! The above is what I (and, I guess, Ramana) had in mind originally. However, that still leaves me with the problem of the other thread, which amounts to the fact that I do not see a practical way of implementing a reader that can make use of the Gilith OpenTheory Repo. I will expand on that in the other thread.

> which is intended to match your proposed definition mechanism. Writers using this command will almost certainly need to save the new constants to the dictionary to build new terms, hence the need for another new command to take apart lists:
>
> http://www.gilith.com/research/opentheory/article.html#hdTlCommand
>
> which is simply the inverse of cons.
>
> I was reluctant before now to introduce any derived inference rules, because another design goal of OpenTheory is to make it as simple as possible to implement readers. However, I have convinced myself that this is not an issue, because you can convert a version 6 article into a logically equivalent version 5 article, and so a reader can always perform this preprocessing step to avoid dealing with derived rules.
>
> Following this new line of thinking, I have introduced some extra derived rules
>
> http://www.gilith.com/research/opentheory/article.html#symCommand
> http://www.gilith.com/research/opentheory/article.html#transCommand
> http://www.gilith.com/research/opentheory/article.html#proveHypCommand
>
> that only depend on equality, and if writers choose to make use of them will hopefully help to compress the resulting article files.
>
> Please take a look at the new version 6 draft standard and let me know what you think:
>
> http://www.gilith.com/research/opentheory/article.html

I am happy with the derived rules. By a fortunate coincidence, you have put the parameters to trans and proveHyp on the stack in the same order as I do in my writer.

For proveHyp (and deductAntisym) it might be helpful to say explicitly that the rules do not fail if the formula phi is not present in Delta.

Regards,

Rob.