[opentheory-users] Scalable LCF-style proof translation

Joe Leslie-Hurd joe at gilith.com
Tue Feb 18 17:46:35 UTC 2014

Hi Ramana,

I'm still not convinced that the proof format in Cezary & Alex's paper is
more concise than OpenTheory, here is where the discussion ended last time:

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Alexander Krauss <krauss at in.tum.de> wrote:

> On 07/26/2013 11:29 PM, Joe Leslie-Hurd wrote:
>
>> Given these minor differences, I'm intrigued by the statement in the
>> conclusion:
>>
>> "In our development we defined a new format for proof exchange traces,
>> despite
>> the existence of other exchange formats. We have tried writing the
>> proof trace in the
>> OpenTheory format, and it was roughly 10 times bigger."
>>
>> Cezary, Alex: Would it be possible to share this proof trace in the
>> two formats, so I can see what difference is responsible for the
>> blow-up?
>

> I must pass this question on to Cezary, who made this specific experiment.
> I'm not even sure whether this is before or after compression... But just
> looking at the list of OpenTheory commands, it seems to me that building up
> substitutions as nested lists on the stack is rather complicated.

So the 10x size increase may simply have been an artifact of comparing
against an uncompressed OpenTheory proof file. If Cezary could dig up the
proof files that were used for this comparison, I'd be very happy to take a
look and see whether there's something deeper that is going on.

Unfortunately I think that proof formats (like both of these) that
explicitly record every low-level inference are doomed to be bogged down by
massive proofs. I've thought about some ways to scale better, such as
adding a new "rewrite" OpenTheory command that behaves like REWRITE_CONV,
but such rules are hard to specify precisely to guarantee identical
behaviour on different platforms.

I'd be interested in hearing your ideas about how to scale better in proof
formats while preserving portability.