[opentheory-users] reading articles from standard input

Joe Leslie-Hurd joe at gilith.com
Tue Oct 2 17:36:25 UTC 2012

Hi Ramana,

> I had packaged the tool for Arch Linux (and derivatives) here, when 1.2
> first came out:
>   https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=61879

Thanks for packaging opentheory for this platform!

> But I notice that the new release does not have a new version, just a new
> "release date".

My version policy is to accumulate at least one major feature listed on

http://www.gilith.com/software/opentheory/changelog.html

before bumping the version number.

> Should the package version include the release date as well?
> I.e., the version would be 1.2.20120930.
> (That would mean I should update the AUR package...)

This sounds like the safest packaging policy, and should allow us to
reconstruct the exact git repo for a release in case there are
problems with it.

> If the tool can spit it out, I don't see why a man page with the same text
> is necessary.

Agreed.

> (I guess you meant if there are packaging rules that require a man page for
> everything...?)

Yes, that's what I was thinking about - let's cross that bridge when
we come to it.