[opentheory-users] article format wording about constants

Ramana Kumar ramana.kumar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 19:59:33 UTC 2011

What does the phrase "with definition ..." mean in the article format spec?
In my opinion it doesn't add anything except potential confusion.

It seems like your idea of what a constant is is something with a name
and a definition. However the definition bit (filling in the "..."
above) is never particularly illuminating: "null" or "def(t)" or
"def(phi,A)" etc.

My idea of a constant is something that has a name and a type, so the
type argument to the constTerm command is just a checksum to me, but I
can probably live with the idea that constants need types before they
become real terms.
However, notice the asymmetry: const takes 1 argument, constTerm takes
2, but var takes 2 arguments and varTerm takes 1. Surely constants
should act more like variables? Or even have their types entirely
determined by their names?
The only ways to get constants apart from the const command
(defineConst and defineTypeOp) are ways that would fix their types.

Also, it's not clear whether a "new constant" with the same name as a
previously defined constant is allowed. I presume so.